Farm to Page Contest
Last December, Edible Grande Traverse sponsored a photo contest called “Farm to Page.” Open to high school students enrolled in Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District’s Graphic Design and Promotional Media Program*, the contest served in equal parts as mentorship and journalistic experience.
Participants could enter their best shots in any of three categories:
• Crops or farm animals raised by an area grower
• Packaged foods made by a local producer
• Prepared foods made at a local restaurant, café or bakery
Images were evaluated based on technical quality, concept and originality of composition. EGT staff served as judges, selecting the winners in each category for cash prizes and print presentation in the magazine.
Congratulations to the winners, and to all the students who took part in this fun and engaging contest. The quality of work submitted was excellent—and that made picking winners both gratifying and exceedingly difficult!
Special thanks to:
• Each of the farms, restaurants and food producers who welcomed students to “shoot” their crops or products.
• Julie Orr and Christina Trogan, who run the Graphic Design & Promotional Media Program, for overseeing the contest and for their fine work with students throughout the year.
* The Traverse Bay Area Career-Tech Center is a secondary career and technical education school serving 19 high schools and 1,100 students in the five-county Grand Traverse area. Students are educated in 24 programs utilizing the latest technology and state-of-the-art equipment.