- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
In a large bowl, stir together corn, flour, egg yolks, scallions, salt, paprika, pepper and cayenne. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir one-quarter of the beaten egg whites into the corn mixture. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the remaining egg whites into the corn mixture in 3 additions.
In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat until the butter has melted. Carefully drop some of the corn mixture by tablespoons into the hot oil, taking care not to crowd the pan. Cook each fritter until browned, 2–3 minutes, then turn over and brown the other side, 1–2 minutes. Transfer fritters to a platter lined with paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt, if desired. Repeat with the rest of the corn mixture. Serve hot.