- 3 tablespoons oil of your choice, divided
- 1 small white onion, sliced on the bias
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered, seeded and sliced
- 1 large poblano pepper, quartered, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups whole cooked pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups leftover rice (we use Spanish rice flavored with chilies, but any leftover rice will work)
- sea salt to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a hot skillet and add onions and peppers. Cook until just softened, and stir in pinto beans, garlic, coriander and cumin. Remove from heat and reserve.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a hot skillet and fry rice until heated all the way through. Add reserved vegetables and saute. Season to taste with sea salt.
We garnish this dish with chopped cilantro, sliced onions and crumbled feta. The basic recipe can be adjusted to use whatever vegetables are on hand. Also a great way to reuse leftovers!
Alternative garnishes: sliced or diced avocado, toasted pepitas, diced tomatoes, hot sauce, chili flakes