Delightful summertime recipes featuring local honey
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 small to medium onion, poked with 6 whole cloves
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- water to cover
- 2 tablespoons Star Thistle Honey
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme (or 2 teaspoons minced fresh)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano (or 2 teaspoons minced fresh)
- 2 pinches salt
- a few turns of the pepper mill
Place lentils, onion, carrots and bay leaves with water to cover in a saucepan on the stove and cook till tender, about 30–45 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
Once the lentils are tender, drain them and put them in a salad bowl. Remove the cloves from the onion. Chop the onion and add it to the lentils. Pour on the sauce. Taste and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper as you choose. Garnish with reserved carrots. Serve warm/room temperature.